Families can’t get enough of this seriously nutritious south-of-the-border skillet dinner. Replacing the cheese with fresh avocado and pico de gallo makes this dish healthier and lighter. This mildly spicy meal is very satisfying.
Leftovers from this recipe are simply wonderful as a packed meal the next day. Chop one of the leftover chicken breasts and enjoy it with a handful of fresh arugula and a spoonful of the bean mixture.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, rinsed
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Combine the spice blend in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend over all of the chicken pieces. Place in a ziplock bag in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour and as long as overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the olive oil in a large, oven-safe, skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, salt, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the rinsed beans and bring to a simmer, about 4 minutes.
- Arrange the marinated chicken breasts over the top of the bean mixture. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Top with sliced avocado, pico de gallo and fresh cilantro.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals 322 calories, 14g fat, 829mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 3g sugar, and 35g protein.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com